I decided that Super Bowl Sunday's batch would be a 2.4 gallon batch instead of my usual 5.5 gallon batch size. Being the lazy guy that I am, I thought I would use the base of a recipe I'd already designed and brewed: Gruntled Sour Weiße.
Just to make it a little different, I decided to make it a fruit beer, simply adding the same frozen mixed berries that I've been using to help flavor some of my yogurt. I do plan on not adding quite as much Lactic Acid as well.
The resulting recipe on SheppyBrew.com is Gruntled Berry Weiße.
Not only was this a small batch, but it is also very low in alcohol, thus low in OG, thus low in grains needed to brew it.
ABV = 3.3%, OG = 1.030, Pounds of Grains = 2.75.
2.75 pounds of grain does not seem like very much.
I was able to heat of the strike water on my kitchen stove, which sure isn't typical.
I was able to use my small mash tun.
Everything went pretty well. I noticed that my recipe's pre-boil gravity is the same as my OG, which means either I don't have an evaporation rate set in beer smith for this small-batch profile, or beer smith has a bug. Probably my mistake.
Of course, as you might remember from First Brew of 2015: Arctic Vortex, I have a new refractometer, so throughout the boil I was quickly able to measure the gravity and dilute the boil wort as I went along. Thank goodness for the refractometer. Apparently I was able to adjust last time without it, but it sure was nice to have it this time.
To make this a Berry Weiße, I added frozen mixed berries to the Mr. Beer fermentor. I poured the wort on top of those and then pitched the hydrated dry yeast into that.
I have not really looked at the fermentation since Sunday, but I am trusting that the yeast are doing their job. Bio-chemistry is so cool!
Just like with Gruntled Sour Weiße, I will be adding lactic acid to the beer at bottling time. I plan on adding less than I did for that batch. I might even end up being a sour beer that my wife can handle.
I'll let you know how it goes.