I brewed the base beer this past weekend, but I still have not decided what my 2019 X-Mas Ale will be.
The recipe I have on SheppyBrew.com, calls for White Chocolate Flavoring, but I'm not 100% sure that is the direction I want to go.
I don't have to decide until the primary fermentation is done.
This past Sunday was very windy. There was a strong wind warning in area. So, I brewed in the garage.
I got started around 6AM, which isn't that early for me, but was before the sun came up.
The mash temperature was right on.
Pre-boil volume was right on. I measured the pre-boil gravity a bit high, so I diluted.
The boil went fine, although, my OG was low. I even made sure my refractometer was calibrated and double checked the OG with a hydrometer.
Either I added too much water to dilute, or I misread the pre-boil gravity. Or ... my evaporation rate is way off.
The lower gravity is fine, but I wish I knew what was going on here.
As has become the normal, I chilled to below 100 with the hose. I chilled down to 60ish by recirculating ice water with a pump.
I had the yeast pitched before 11 and everything cleaned up before 11:30.
As I write this, the fermentation is bubbling away. I'm still thinking about what I'll add to this to make it an X-Mas Ale. Stay tuned.
I should be drinking this by Thanksgiving.