|The kids really like the Dry Dock|
|Carboy into the corny keg|
|Corny keg via Beer Gun into the bottles|
As I have mentioned before, a significant amount of this batch will go to people who donated to the Second Wind Fund.
So with the fermenter empty before church, I was all ready to brew my X-Mas Ale after church. If you have been playing attention to the last few brewing posts on this blog, you probably know that I have been brewing with a modified BIAB technique. Last week, I decided to make my 10 gallon gott cooler into a mash tun and stop doing this weird BIAB thing. Today was my first batch with the new mash tun.
|New Mash Tun with a false bottom|
|Mashing the grains|
|Able to do a vorlauf again.|
I also seemed to get really inconsistent efficiencies with the BIAB method. When it came right down to it, I missed my regular mash and laughter tun / batch sparge process of brewing.
And today, the mash went great. My mash temp was a bit high, but it was very consistent and I was fine with it at 156 instead of the 152 I had planned for. And even more than I expected, I really liked being able to drain the tun instead of lifting it and emptying it. The whole process does take a bit longer than BIAB, but the ease of not having to lift and store the water soaked grain bag was very worth it.
The rest of brew day went very well too. I ended up diluting the wort to make up for better than expected brew house efficiency (it was originally planned as a BIAB after all). Actually, for some reason I thought I was shooting for 1.072 whereas after looking at the recipe, I was planning for a 1.078 OG. I ended up at 1.075 which is just fine. I do have a full 6 gallons, so I will probably be adding a blow-off tube soon.
I did one thing that I hope I don't regret. Since I had bottled the Stouticus early in the day, I decided to just transfer the wort straight onto the Stouticus trub. I know lots of people who say they do this all the time. I just hope it doesn't end up biting me with some sort of weird infection.
I suppose all I can do is wait. I expect to see activity later tonight or early tomorrow morning.