Friday, February 03, 2023

Doodle Bop Belgium Single (batch 328)

I brewed this past Sunday. It was extremely cold out, so it was a brew-in-the-garage day ...

As I mentioned in 2023 Arctic Vortex and Chucky, my Anvil Foundry need fixing. Based on some troubleshooting, I believe the Foundry's power switch needs replacing.

I've ordered a new switch and according to UPS it should be arriving today. Maybe my next brew will be back on the Foundry.

Regardless, it wasn't ready for Sunday's brew day, so I used my "old" cooler-mash-tun-propane-burner-boil brewing system.

The beer I brewed is a new recipe resulting from my desire to brew a beer in the BJCP Category 26, Monastic Ale.

As I mentioned in Followup on BJCP 2021 Style Guidelines, the style I wanted to most brew in this category was  26A. Belgian Single, and so awhile ago I designed the recipe ....

I stopped by my favorite Local Homebrew Shop for ingredients early last week. I did a yeast starter on Saturday.

Then, of course, Sunday was the brew day.

I was actually a little concerned about the yeast. The starter never seemed to look like it was doing anything. 

On Sunday morning, I expected that I'd have to head to one of my LHBS's to pick up more yeast, but when I checked the starter liquid, my refractometer told me that the gravity had actually dropped into a decent finishing gravity.

So, I decided to go ahead with it.

Since I had not pre-heated my water, I had to heat it up with the propane burner in the garage. With the propane burner, I had to open the garage door for ventilation. With the frigid cold the open garage door wasn't ideal. It really would have been a great day to use my Foundry.

But, it really was fine. Just not ideal.

The mash went pretty well, although it didn't maintain temperature very well. About halfway through, I added more hot water to get the temperature up.

Really just something you have to deal with when brewing in the extreme cold. Not a huge deal. 


The boil was fine. I added everything I was supposed to when I was supposed to do it.

Again, because of the cold temperatures, I decided to not get out my immersion chiller or hook up hoses and let the ambient outside temperatures cool down the wort. 

It took a few hours, but I just waited until my tilt said the temperature was in the 70's. I used my stainless steel brew bucket fermentor (another Anvil product) so I didn't have to wait to rack into the fermentor.

This chilling method actually worked out pretty well.

Later in the day, I made Jalapeño Poppers to eat during the NFC Championship game. They were so delicious.

Man, I love homemade Jalapeño Poppers!

It took the yeast longer to get started than I thought it would. Usually with a starter, I see bubbling before I go to bed. 

There were no signs of fermentation when I went to work the next day. During lunch at work I even stopped by my Local Homebrew Shop to get a pack of dry Belgium yeast.

However, when I got home, fermentation was going, so now I have an extra pack of Belgium yeast. This probably means I'll have to brew another BJCP Category 26, Monastic Ale soon. Probably a dubble. 

Anyway ... hopefully next time I brew I'll have my Foundry fixed. Stay tuned to find out if the new switch fixes my issue.

As always stay tuned on the regular SheppyBrew Channels to see what is happening with biking, brewing, barbequing, and other things: SheppyBrew's Facebook PageSheppy's Twitter FeedSheppyBrew's Instagram Page; and SheppyBrew's Website.Of course, don't forget to visit this blog often as well!

Go Eagles! (whoever is playing the Chefs)

No comments:

Post a Comment